Gel I don't think you understand the reasons why it happend. It has
nothing to do with the pledge itself, but working in one section of
the pledge that was added in the McCarthy era - the words Under God.
In other words its due to a very minor thing (at least to the fundies)
that of separation of church and state. To quote the article:

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled that the pledge's reference
to one nation "under God" violates school children's right to be "free
from a coercive requirement to affirm God."

Moreover the courts have affirmed time and time again that Freedom of
Religion also means freedom from religion.

larry