That's nothing, my Aunt has dual citizenship in the US and Canada... she
falls under Canada's "socialized" medical coverage (the same thing that
you're talking about if our government were to institute a health care
program).

She was diagnosed with a situation that would kill her (the name escapes me)
if she didn't have a certain surgery within the year.  Then they wanted to
schedule the surgery for 9 months away.

She flew to Texas where we are originally from and paid to have the surgery
herself a month later.

The moral: no, the government won't kill you directly, but be careful not to
choke on the red tape.

Hatton