I am not familiar with the process. I know you have to take a history test,
and take an oath to uphold the Constitution.

And in the public schools, and most private (I think), you do say the
Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.

We share an identity in very broad terms. Overall we are capitalists and
believe in a democratic form of government. But in reality, America is
divided up in to so many different cultures and sub-cultures. In some
cities all you have to do is cross the street and you are in a completely
different place.

I just don't agree with the idea that America can be looked at as a single
society.