Just a note for those that are interested.

The air-quality and toxicity tests won't be back for a few days (lab work
needs to be done) but the preliminary report is very good.

The inspector was able to peel the boards he needed (the basement isn't
paneled after all but rather actual planking... much nicer than I thought).
He found no evidence of mold behind the walls.  If the spots of mildew
return he noted that we could easily sand down those boards that were
affected and refinish just them without demolishing the entire lower level.

He found no mold in any of the other likely spots (behind the washer/dryer
or utility sink, under the basement kitchen counters or the attic).  He
couldn't find any actual water or seepage (even tho' it rained all night
there).  The rooms were damp but in the 60% range (not nearly as damp as I
feared).

He noted that the central air conditioning did indeed route through the
basement rooms and in the summer-time that would be more than enough to
dehumidify those room during those months.

He suggested that the primary moisture problem may be that the gutters are
buried (they go straight down into the soil next to the house) and that the
(presumed) dry wells they're going into may be clogged.  He suggested that
just redirecting the gutters away from the house would probably eliminate
much of the moisture.

He did note an usual patch of "black stuff" behind one wall but it didn't
look like mold to him.  He took a sample for analysis but he thinks it was
just something left over from the initial construction (a dirty handprint or
the like).

We're still not committing until the final results are in... but right now
the outlook is very good.

Thanks for all the help, even in the face of my pig-headedness.  ;^)

Jim Davis