I don't think he should, either.

But the question was asked: Would it change anything if the victim were to die?

I said no, it should not change anything since the actions would not
have changed, and the shooting has been ruled an accident by the
investigating authorities.

I was later informed (on a legal list) that, in fact, things WOULD
change, as there are different laws that apply to a death than apply
to an injury.

I repeat, Dick Cheney did nothing wrong while hunting, and even if the
DA had to take a look at the case, and even if he felt the need to
bring charges due to the easy burden that the "Criminal Negligent"
charge requires, there is NO way he could be found guilty of anything.
He is acknowledged to be a top-notch shooter, is widely respected for
his skill, and (although everyone is being very circumspect due to the
age and injuries of the victim), it was clearly not Cheney's fault.