Larry,

There's enough in there that definetely makes this not an open and shut
case:

"unable to rule out unofficial movement of limited
WMD-related materials."

"The survey group said it followed up on reports that a
Syrian security officer had discussed collaboration with Iraq on
weapons, but it was unable to complete that investigation."

Not to mention there's a whole host of other reasons in there to justify
taking him out.