I'll follow my conspiracy with your line of thinking and say that Israel
doesn't care about the world knowing, it cares about it's enemies thinking
that it has the bomb to prevent them from doing another all-out attack. The
leak that they (supposedly) had the  bomb came after there was a war in
which they didn't use it.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and tried to annex it. They shot missiles at Saudi
Arabia, Israel and other places. They pissed off a LOT of people and they
had to at least seem like they had a 'hold card' to keep them alive. Problem
is, they were already in the dog house with the UN and America so there were
investigations into if they actually had them. On the whole, the Iraq war is
their own fault for implying through action, inaction and blocking of
inspectors that they had them. But that's only one reason in a long list for
(and against) the war.