As I remember it the internment of Japanese-Americans, was looked back on as a
mistake.  It was the interment based on race and nothing else and there was no
evidence of any spying activity, etc.. by any of those interned.

I also seem to remember somthing about reviewing history in order to keep from
repeating our same mistakes.

So I would argue that overzealous reactionary measures might be better put on
the back burner for a short period of time until the hype dies down.

Afterall what has the Patriot Act achieved?