> Dana wrote:
> I am not sure how to do #2 either but it seems like the only option to me. We
> are currently doing #1 and as predicted it seems to be producing an
> ever-escalating spiral of more of the same.

I think the key in your statement is "we".  If the majority of Iraqis
were agreed that "Iraq" is indeed one country and were actively moving
and supportive of that direction, the insurgency would go away.

So, in that way, you don't have to kill all of the extremists, just
make it known that their fight is futile.  That Iraq is not, and never
will be, theirs.  However as long as the US is providing security,
that will never happen.

Democracy can't grow from the top down.  All of the so-called
successes are just US motivated and enforced political structures.
True success in Iraq will be when local groups form to, say, improve
roads or fix water supplies.

>From what I read, all that's happening now is that Iraqis are simply
complaining about the lack of water service rather than creating
political parties to prevent that.

It's the Broken Window Syndrome.  You pay to fix up every house in a
neighborhood and, for awhile, it'll look nice.  But unless the
residents are committed to fixing up their house they'll just fall
into disrepair again.