getting back to the other issues in your post, they have been well-documented
kidnappings of Canadian and German citizens, which does not strike me as OK
either. However, googling "extraordinary rendition american citizens" turns up
numerous hits, most of them highly relevant. Padilla is not a nice guy,
perhaps, but the government shouldhave to prove a case against him, because
what if they are wrong?

I mean, look at this case:

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1063212087029

http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=15120

Here's a guy whose "ties to al-Qaeda" were apparently that he served lunch to a
couple of the 9-11 hijackers... he was held in federal custody for months and
the case is apparently still sealed (!!??!!)

And that's ok because he is not an American citizen?