Actually their main challenge seems to be quite different: Democrats need to
get out the vote, while Republicans would rather have a smaller turnout.

I hear it every election: A smaller turnout favors the republicans, a larger
turnout favors the democrats. It seems that the republican base is a voting
base. They will turnout to the polls every time, no matter the campaigning,
and vote their conservative values.

So why does this not seem to be the case for the democratic base? Does it
have to do with the age thing?