On 6/16/06, Gruss Gott wrote:

> But they're going to do that anyway.  They like drugs and the drugs
> they like are highly addictive.
>
> What I mean by regulation is creating "needle parks" that anyone could
> go to to get "clean" drugs.  Of course there'd need to be all kinds
> rules, etc, but the concept is to
>

> However you'll still have casual and recreational users.  In general
> these people will still buy drugs, but with a refocused law
> enforcement effort the legal price would sky rocket for this
> risk-averse group.

I know little about this and a quick search show it can be considered
a success or a failure. So I'll leave it alone.
But it's not legalizing drugs, as you often say so forgive my mistake.

> Lastly I'll say I favor legalized marijuana.  Don't criticize it ...
> Doctor's smoke it ...

Don't most states have laws making possession of small amounts just a
fine and not a crime? I know NY and NV do.

> That's part of it, but under 3 strikes I believe you only have to be
> caught 3 times and then you're out.  That means anyone that's used
> illegal drugs more than 3 times is a felon.

This makes no sense. Three strikes means three felony convictions, not
smoking three joints in a lifetime.

> At a minimum anyone
> that's used illegal drugs at least once is a criminal.

The word illegal is a dead giveaway :)

> So to your question of dismissing addicts - the laws you favor already
> do that.  You say that an addict is a criminal and possibly a felon.
> That's not a compliment.

I didn't say any of that. Aren't you the one that says rolling a red
light makes people criminals? Are they equally deserving of your
scorn?
Using drugs doesn't make you a felon. Getting caught and going through
the system, which includes making deals, or going to trial determines
that.

I'm just saying you can't dismiss people because they've had an addiction.