From: BethF [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 11:52 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Dodgeball and Sexism

I played rugby for several years before my knees went out, so you are being
sexist.  I have no kids and no man is dominant over me.  In fact, saying
that men are more dominant is one of the most sexist statements I have ever
heard in my entire life.   Men aren't more dominant they just enjoy hurting
each other more than women do, generally.  I wouldn't necesarily say this is
a quality I admire in them.

I have a brother who is mild mannered, terrible at sports and got the crap
kicked out of him in bombardment.  He didn't have the skills nor the
inclination to kick back.  In the school we went to it wasn't respected that
my brother had incredible grades, was probably the brightest kid in school
(he got one question incorrect on his SAT's - he is very bright) - the only
thing that mattered was that he was lousy at sports.

I actually enjoyed both dodgeball and bombardment, but I think its an
inappropriate game for gym class, really - the object is to hurt other kids.
We should teach our kids that hurting other kids is wrong.

Now, I know this is going to spiral into another argument about how you
schmucks think we should teach our children to do whatever it takes to get
on top, including hurting and stepping on others, because what really
matters is winning - but I think to teach our kids this does them and the
rest of the world a grave disservice.

--Beth, Pseudo usenet cop
Merlin MTB, BikeE AT, RANS gliss, Trek R200, Kickbike
Owned by Kavik (Samoyed Boy) and Toklat (Keeshond Boy)
Anchorage, Alaska