> Sam wrote:
> The extra embryo are available in case you
> want more kids a few years later, stuck in a custody fight or people
> just don't know what to do with them.

Right, so if we follow the argument to it's logical legal conclusion
it would be that a couple shouldn't be able to do that.  That is,
fertilizing an egg with no intention of birthing it is murder so it
should be banned as human experimentation.  After all, if you
implanted those eggs in another mother, they all might be viable.

I guess my point is that both the embryonic research and the
fertilization itself seem to be crossing the "Huxley" line if you
follow the religious right's basic argument:  "If God had wanted you
to have kids, then you wouldn't need fertilization treatments."

So, to sum it up, here would be the argument options:

(1.) Proceed with embryonic research.  Making them and destroying them
for research is ok because they're not yet humans; just some cells
that *could* be humans under the right conditions.

(2.) Proceed with embryonic research, but only use embryos that have
been discarded from fertilization treatments.  i.e., creating and
destroying embryos is ok *only* if the creation is for some "good"
purpose such as fertilization.  This is where most Americans seem to
be.

(3.) Halt all embryonic research and close down all sources of "extra"
embryos; continuing is a "slippery slope." This is where the President
seems to be.