I think there is a world of difference between faith and blind belief.
We are asked to have faith, not follow blindly as sheep.  I think that
those who would demand proof of God are looking for physical evidence
of a spiritual phenomenon.  Those who would limit salvation to a
chosen few have never experienced the limitless love and mercy of the
Creator, but would reduce him instead to the pettiness of man.

I also think deciding who goes to heaven and who goes to hell is God's
job and not that of any brand of religion, and that God in his wisdom
will weigh each heart, and not look at ethnicity or dogma, but at the
purity of the soul.

The concept that a child of non-Christian background, who has never
heard of Jesus, would burn in hell because of the lack of a Christian
belief, is what caused me to sever my ties with organized Christianity
40 years ago.   The members of the governing body called me a heretic
for even suggesting that their teachings on this subject might be
wrong.  I've been studying theology for most of those 40 years, and
they are still wrong.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that
whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life"
 does not have a coda that says "and everyone else will burn in hell"

Rev. Maureen