In many cases being a member of the National Breed Organization is more
important than being a member of the AKC (although the two usually go hand
in hand)
The AKC is a clearing house for information and the competitive body. The
national breed orgs, deal with breeding and breed specific issues.

Case in point: Great Pyrenees (Pyrenean Mountain Dog [UKC]) have the
NGPCA. NGPCA breeders have to have their breeding pairs inspected for hip
and knee issues.
Many of these are genetic, if the dogs display the genetic markers for hip
dysplaysia they are not allowed to breed under the NGPCA banner.

Scott A. Stewart
REAC/PASS-IT
(202)-475-8875

Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>