I think the term Elitist, as it is being used is about serving an agenda.
People who may do the right thing, but do it for the wrong reason could fall
into that category.

If you do something, because it is cool and then bad mouth other because
they don't do it, then that would fall into the Elitist category.

I used those examples because they are often things I hear of people doing
because they want to be cool, anti-establishment types that don't like the
man.

Being those things is fine, just be those things for the right reason, not
because they are cool.