This book should be required reading. Should have been, it been around
for years.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N25C6282E

"All political beliefs aside Terry Prachett knocks one out of the park
with this installment of the Discworld saga. Sam Vimes sets off to
stop a war started by idiots. What makes his books so amazing is his
ability to tell the future. The main theme of this book is war is bad.
The countries he uses to ba antagonists are Ahnk Morpork and Klatch.
Any war could be seen as a primer for this book, it just seems a bit
uncanny that the 2 going to war are an english speaking country and a
"arabic" country. They go to war over a spot of wet soggy land between
their prospective countries. The island is held up by air and this
baloon eventually has to pop leaving the question... why were we
fighting in the first place. "