'Riddles' as you call them is a simple view. The correct term is ALLEGORY.

 al·le·go·ries

   1.
         1. The representation of abstract ideas or principles by characters,
figures, or events in narrative, dramatic, or pictorial form.
         2. A story, picture, or play employing such representation. John
Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and Herman Melville's Moby Dick are allegories.

Also, I am not english. Although I do agree with your generalization of
'muddled englishman'. There are a lot of them =).