While writing my little tirade on what we can do about Global warming I had
an idea.  It's late and I'm very tired so I may feel differently about it in
the morning, but right now I think it's pretty neat.

The idea is to use the sun to preheat water before it enters a hot-water
heater.

We all know that if you let your water run it gets cold - that's the water
from the service pipe - essentially chilled ground water.  The water heater
takes this and heats it up.

I believe if that water was warming going in it would take less energy to
heat it.  (This is proven out in experiments I've seen.  For example boiling
chilled water takes upwards of 25% longer than boiling hot tap water.)

The idea is to divert the water from your heater intake to a series of pipes
on the roof or a sunny wall.  A network of small pipes (more surface area),
painted dull black (better heat absorption, less reflection) could heat the
water before it enters the tank.  Basically a reverse radiator.

Ideally such a system would only kick-in when the temperature was high (and
probably wouldn't be useful at all in climates where the pipes might freeze)
which would mean some kind of temperature controlled valve (I assume that
this would be an off-the-shelf part... although where that shelf is I'm not
sure).

I don't know if the energy savings (if there are indeed any) would outweigh
the cost of such a thing, but it seems like it would be really cheap to
build/install and be essentially maintenance free... so even a small energy
savings would eventually cover the costs.

The answer's probably "yes" but, am I crazy?

Jim Davis