This is really quite common in the UK, coincidentally I picked up a
leaflet in a local store yesterday for exactly this product - £1400
self fit with government grants available. They estimate on 70%
savings on heating bills and a very quick pay back (2-3 years).

Google "solar water heating kit", and apparently they work even on
overcast days and in winter.