I do not have any experience with On Demand systems, but when I lived in
Germany, our water heater for showers was a fairly good sized one that used
heating oil. I would get up in the morning and start the oil flowing in the
tank under the water tank (very little oil is required for this) then light
a wax stick of paper and drop it in the tank. The oil would burn and when I
returned a couple of hours later from PT, I would have a nice hot shower
waiting for me. When my wife woke up later on, she would shower then put out
the fire and that was that. Used only a few ounces of oil a day. Same for
our heaters in the living room and kitchen. The only electric water heaters
we had were for the bathroom and kitchen sinks, and they were only 5 gallon
heaters that had good insulation so the water was kept pretty warm all the
time with little electric consumption. We spent far less keeping our home
warm in the winter and water hot despite that fact that the exchange rate
sucked at that time than we ever have here in the States. I would like to
see something like this adopted in the US. I would be all over it for sure.
And there is a clean method of doing this with a combination of heating oil
and biodesiel.

http://www.reliance.org/bioheatFAQ.htm
Bruce