And that's the Catch 22, the people that could really benefit from a
hybrid can't afford them..

Scott A. Stewart
REAC/PASS-IT
(202)-475-8875

Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
01/08/2007 11:33 AM
Please respond to cf-community

        To:     CF-Community <cf-community@houseoffusion.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Scott A. Stewart/REAC/HHQ/HUD)
        Subject:        Re: so...there's no such thing as global warming?

>The hybrid highlander with the tow group would run about 36k, which is
about
>10k more than my escape v6 limited. That is more than just being able to
>care about the environment. If I compare them similarly equipped it is
about
>13k more.

Sure, some people can't afford the better hybrids that are available.
However, many people that *do* put 40K or more into a car could easily
afford a decent hybrid, but don't bother or see any need to pay for it.

>I would love for the federal and state governments to pass laws that
>required government agencies to purchase hybrid and fuel efficient cars,
>create a demand for them, and the supply will follow. If they had a good
>reason for not doing it, then fine

There really isn't a good reason for not doing it, other than the pressure
from the auto industry. Such laws do not require *all* cars to meet higher
standards. But the technology does exist even to make gas cars more
efficient.

--- Mary Jo