On 2/4/07, Nick McClure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It isn't the OS that is slower, it is the UI.

I wouldn't really agree with that.  The Aero Glass UI is certainly slower
because it's SO MUCH more graphically intense.  The Aero Basic UI isn't so
bad.

But the OS itself is doing a lot more stuff than in the past... like
"virtualizing" C:\Windows\*" for programs attempting to write user data into
that directory.. same with C:\Program Files ... that's for backwards
compatibility, but still allowing for some poorly written software to work
correctly.  The whole thing with files and processes having "Integrity
Levels" now probably adds some overhead to the OS.  The fact that
administrative users now have TWO tokens instead of just one.... etc.
There's a lot of OS stuff - particularly related to security - that adds
quite a bit of overhead.

Those are good things, though, for the most part.  Increased security is
always a good thing.