I think this is kind of a red herring.

Even the article states that these benchmarks were completed with tools and
applications optimized for XP.  Application updates should offset much of
the issue.

The OpenGL isn't anything new - OpenGL from MS has always sucked (it was no
better in XP) but the graphics card folks pony up sooner than later and come
up with their own ICDs.  THIS is why Open GL performs under XP - not because
of anything MS did.

(Right now MS's OpenGL ICD actually translates instructions into DirectX -
not a recipe for performance.)

I agree with the article however: if you need that stuff, just don't
upgrade.  Nobody will pick on you.  ;^)

In my case I'm dual-booting - XP for some games and Vista for most
everything else.

For general application use (Office, email, web, etc) Vista actually seems
much peppier than XP.  There's also much more contextual design (things are
more easily available when you need them).

I'm not sure if this is universal, but for me at least working with Vista
_feels_ faster and that's a good thing.

Jim Davis