> Rick wrote:
> Problem is, neither party wants to nominate someone that the other party
> might like, because the nomination process now seems to weed out the
> moderates.

In general I'd agree, but this time you've got some moderates like
Guilianni and Obama.  Mitt Romney is as well, but he's playing to the
far right: he's trying to out-right McCain who started playing right 4
years ago and also used to be a moderate.

Some of the polls are interesting now though (albeit not useful):
basically Hillary vs any top Rep candidate and she loses by ~10
points; Obama vs any top Rep candidate is a statistical tie.

If Obama has the money it's going to be a tight run; Hillary may lose.
 The same is true with Mitt Romney; it may come down to Romney and
Guilianni leaving McCain totally out.

The sad thing about McCain is that he would've won last time had he
run independent.  I don't think he can make it this time.