Let's also not forget that he gets paid (by the very company that
fired him) to be a shock jock.

It's his -job- to find the line...and then cross it.

At any given time of any given show (whether it's Imus, Howard Stern,
Opie and Andy, Mancow, etc) somebody can choose to be offended.
That's what these people do.  They get paid good money to say (or do)
things that will elicit a response.

This wasn't a member of the clergy, or a high-ranking politician, or
somebody in a position of high esteem (viewed in high esteem by the
general public) made an off color remark.

The guy did what he was paid to do.

Somebody took offense.  OK.  First off... who really got offended.
Was it the players (it might have been... to be honest I haven't been
following the story that closely and I'm not sure what their initial
reaction was).  Or was it just Sharpton and Jackson looking for a
little bit of publicity?

Should they have been offended?  I dunno.  Are they nappy haired hoes?
 If not, then they should be laughing at (not with... -at-) the idiot
who made the comment.

I quote from the 80's classic (and perennial 2am HBO movie) "Road
House".  Legendary cooler Dalton (played by Patrick Swayze) was trying
to explain to his staff of bouncers how to "be nice".  He didn't want
his staff to be escalating an issue that didn't need to be an issue at
all.  One of the bouncers asks, "what if someone calls my momma a
whore?"  Dalton's response... "Is she?"

Yes.  I think we can all learn a lot from Road House (also good to
remember... Take the biggest guy in the world, shatter his knee and
he'll drop like a stone.).

Seriously... the problem is that a guy who got paid to be racy crossed
the line and some publicity-hungry people decided to call him on it.
OK fine.  He then apologized.  Good move on his part and that should
have been the end of it.  But to your point about, "is it ok to
apologize then repeat the "offense" then apologize and repeat the
"offense", etc"... what was the offense exactly?  Using a racially
derogatory term?  If so, and as others have asked repeatedly in this
thread, why are the publicity mongers not going after everybody who
has uttered a racially derogatory term?  I'm sure in Hymieto...i mean
New York... they can find others.