A threat to our allies perhaps, I'll grant you that.  Not to us.

Note also that Clinton never invaded them - the threat posed was not that
severe.  Clinton's actions were in congress with the notion of "subdue and
contain" and it was clearly working.

> And, Iraqis believed Hussein had WMD. For months before the war began,
> embedded operatives met with Iraqi military officers. Tenet wrote,
> "Every military officer we debriefed told us that Saddam did indeed
> possess WMD."

Then it should have been simple to gather some direct evidence of that.

> After we went into Afghanistan, al Qaeda went to Iraq and set up
> training camps. Whether SH knew and allowed it or had no control is
> debatable. Either way a threat.

No worse than the threats posed by the same kind of camps in Syria, Pakistan
or Iran.  In fact such camps in Iraq were almost definitely less of a threat
because of the sanctions and the scrutiny the country was under.  In any
case such camps, being - you know - TERRORIST CAMPS - are poorly dealt with
by attacking a country's central regime and civilian infrastructure.

> > b) sadly most
> > terrorist attacks on American soil have been perpetrated by Americans
> and
>
> What does that even mean? We don't really have enemies abroad? Are you
> referring to the recent Muslim shootings?

I'm saying what I've been saying: that the war Iraq has left us less secure
than we were.  That the hemorrhaging of resources aborad have left us less
able to deal with threats at home (the argument "fight the terrorists over
there so we don't have to here" has little meaning when most terrorists are
home grown).

> > c) we've placed ourselves in a position where it's difficult to
> respond to
> > actual threats at home and abroad.
>
> What do you base that theory on?

Are you honestly saying that our resources are NOT stretched thin?  We can't
provide adequate care to our wounded veterans.  We find it a necessity to
extend and multiply tours of duty.  We find it difficult to maintain order
even in the so-called "green zone".

We're unable to meet our current commitments and so cannot consider

> > The Iraq war has dangerously weaken America.  It will go down in
> history as
> > one of the worst military blunders of our age.  The Bush
> administration's
> > legacy will be mocking derision.
>
> Or if it succeeds, one of the greatest

If you prefer.  But I don't think there's a lot of difference between the
worst military blunder and the greatest military blunder.

<rimshot>  ;^)

Jim Davis