I'm suprised I missed this:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/
A sophisticated observer with relevant professional background writes
to comment on John's post on James Comey's testimony earlier this
week:

On the face of it, there was little of interest in former Deputy
Attorney General Comey's testimony before the Senate Judiciary
Committee yesterday. No wrongdoing was alleged against AG Gonzalez or
any Administration official, and the matters discussed occurred well
before Gonzalez was even nominated for the AG post. However, there is
an aspect that deserves to be emphasized--or, rather, there is more to
the context than appears in the testimony.

Comey came on board as DAG at the beginning of December, 2003, and he
had some unusual support for a Republican appointee--Senator Chuck
Schumer was very much in his corner. So it was that Comey was pretty
much brand new on the job at the time he decided to reverse what
appeared to the Administration as settled policy on the NSA
eavesdropping program--certainly a shocking and radical development in
any Administration. But Comey had already taken actions that boded ill
for the White House, and especially for the Office of the Vice
President (OVP), with whom the transcript shows he was in serious, and
probably personal, conflict.

Comey, when asked for names of his adversaries in the OVP, mentioned
his disagreements with VP Dick Cheney and Cheney's Legal Counsel,
David Addington. Curiously, Comey failed to mention Scooter
Libby--Cheney's Chief of Staff, a prominent attorney in his own right,
and a leading architect of policy at the OVP--even though it is known
that Libby was also involved in these matters. It is scarcely credible
to suppose that Comey had no dealings with Libby, nor that they were
in disagreement over the NSA program. Perhaps Comey avoided mention of
Libby because he wished to avoid the appearance of personal animus.
After all, it is well known that Libby had beaten Comey in a
contentious case in the Southern District of New York a few years
earlier, and one of Comey's first acts as DAG--before the NSA program
came up for recertification--was to talk Ashcroft into recusing
himself from the Plame affair. Comey then proceeded to appoint his
former SDNY pal Patrick Fitzgerald to go after Libby, even expanding
Fitzgerald's purview to "process violations," even though Comey knew
that Armitage was the "leaker" and that the supposed "leak" violated
no known law.

The upshot was that Comey and his supporters--I'm guessing career
lawyers at DoJ with past connections to Schumer and other
Democrats--may well have already been targeting the OVP through
Fitzgerald when they next precipitated a crisis by refusing to
recertify the NSA program. I doubt that it was any coincidence that
Fitzgerald dragged Cheney and Addington into the Plamegate charade.
Remember, too, that both Comey and Fitzgerald had close connections
with Schumer from their days in the SDNY. Seen in the total context,
Comey throwing bouquets Ashcroft's way during his testimony was a
subterfuge, a way of saying: look, even the arch-conservative Ashcroft
was morally outraged at the evil Administration. Certainly Comey
tacked back and forth, admitting that nothing illegal was done and so
forth, but the PR damage was done--as intended. I suspect that the
arrival of Comey at the feckless Ashcroft's DoJ signalled the
beginning of a coup attempt that would use DoJ to try to topple, or
seriously cripple, the Administration through action on several
fronts: prominently Plamegate and legal aspects of the GWOT. To
suppose that all this was coincidence is to elevate coincidence to the
level of an analytical principle in the study of politics--something
no person with any knowledge of the ways in which bureaucracies work
can accept.

PAUL adds: In fairness to Comey, as I understand it the change in the
Justice Department's view on the legality of the NSA intercept program
was based on the analysis of its Office of Legal Counsel, and
particularly that of Jack Goldsmith, an excellent legal mind with (I'm
guessing) nothing against Dick Cheney or Scotter Libby.

My other thought is that if Comey is an ally of Schumer (and I'll
grant that they seemed cozy the other day), how on earth did he get
the number two job at DOJ in this administration?

UPDATE: Our reader also alerts us to today's Wall Street Journal
editorial "Wiretap
tales."(http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010084)