Here you can go down to a certain area and pick up day laborers (illegal
hispanic immigrants) for $8.00 an hour.  The live 6 - 10 guys per
apartment have no cars, no insurance, or any other responsibilities.
Sure they send money back to Mexico or where ever but the average wage
in Mexico is what?  So these guys can work one or two days a week and
make more than they can in a month in Mexico.

Sorry, but I can't afford to work for those wages.  Why are the wages so
low? because there are so many of them that someone is always willing to
do it cheaper. Why because they have few expenses and are supporting
families hundreds or thousands of miles away with a cost of living that
is 1/20th of here.

If there were greater controls on immigration, labor prices would
increase to a point that kids starting out  and those in need could
afford to work as laborers.