I was taking him to command prompt. Which is under accessories, unless you use
it a lot. And we didn't need add/remove programs -- we needed Add/Remove
Windows Components, which is in Add/Remove Programs in XP but not, apparently,
in Vista.

However, the question is now moot. Further investigation reveals that he has
deleted -- not uninstalled -- big chunks of his operating system. This after
specifically being told not to do anything else to his computer until we set up
a remote desktop. Asked why he deleted Accessories, he said they were
"bothering" him.

There is a great deal more to this story, including his declaration that
Microsoft Word does not work. Not, mind you, that it does not work on his
computer -- that it never does work on any computer and never has. And that he
never doubleclicks, because that leads to trouble, and that his ISP tech
support has told him to always delete his security software, and never
uninstall.

Need I say more.

We have decided that he has more problems than can be solved by us, or by the
campus helpdesk.

If anyone knows the actual answer to the question though, I would still be
interested, as we do now have a copy of Vista over here now.

Thanks
Dana