Don't look on it as "dumbing down".  Think of it as the ability to degrade
gracefully.

Sure, you can have all the bells and whistles you want to give to your
non-disabled clients, just make sure that your site works with a keyboard as
well as a mouse.  That a screen reader can read your updates using Ajax.

Both WCAG and 508 are in the process of updating their requirements.  Both
groups are taking technology innovations into account.

Things aren't as dire as they use to be.  ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet
Applications) is starting to provide a way for Browsers, Screen Readers and
other Accessible Technology devices and other programs and technologies (such
as Flash and Ajax) to be able to work together to provide the stuff we want to
give the 70% of the population that has no problem and still, while not always
providing the same user experience to the other 30%, doesn't penalize them for
being disabled.

Sandra Clark
http://www.shayna.com
Training and Consulting  in CSS and Accessibility
Team Fusebox