> gMoney wrote:
> Then for God's sake, Dana, enlighten us......I may not agree with all of
> Gruss' viewpoints,

Realizing I've been a bit obtuse I'll try to restate:

As Dana points out, poverty is a very complex issue.  The is,
therefore, to try to break it down to actionable segments and then
apply policy to each segment.

I'm saying that one segment of the problem is choice-based.  That is,
if someone had the education and self-esteem to figure out the best
path up, they could - simply by making the choice to do so.

I'm fully admitting that getting someone the conceptual tools to make
the choice could take years.  But I'm also saying that, for that
segment of the problem, the only barrier is choice - maybe difficult
to make choice - but choice.

Therefore the solution to that segment is some form of education and
counseling that gets a person from "I'm worth sh1t and I deserve this
life" to "I can do better!".

The other segments I'm not addressing because my contention is that
the "education segment" or the "choice segment" is 80% of the problem.