I tend to agree that this is not about school. "My wife is furious
because my mother has trumped my wife's wishes.

That said, I suppose every one here that I consider most public school
to be of dubious value anyway. But ok, supposing one buys into the
notion that it's a priceless experience not to be missed for any
reason. My thought in this case are:

1. I don't know how much your daughter will get out of a wedding per
se. She's five as I recall?

2. Time with relatives however may be valuable. On the other hand she
may be too young to remember this also.

3. At five, she may well be old enough to realize that school is still
mostly playtime, so hmm, I would not emphasize the academic argument
personally.

4. Is there a possibility that you can buy your own tickets and avoid this mess?

Offhand, without more infor I tend to disagree with your wife about
the school and agree with her about your mother. Your mother is
manipulating here, no question.

Dunno if that helps but those are my thoughts.