Sony, the undisputed leader last generation and undisputed whipping-boy this
generation, had a lot to prove this year.  Would they maintain the unwarranted
arrogance of last year's "Game 3.0" presentation?  Would they fall on their
sword and admit defeat and beg us to love them?

Happily Sony took a decently middle-ground approach this year: unlike Microsoft
and Nintendo there was very little talk (and no PowerPoint!) about the business
of gaming.  This might be seen as a tacit admission that they had nothing to be
pleased about but I think that’s short notice.  Sony, like Microsoft, could
have worked up positive-sounding charts and stats but they choose not to.

Jack Tretton, in his first big public speech I believe, was pretty amiable.
While I'm sure both Peter Moore (MS) and Reggie Reggie Fils-Aime (Nintendo) are
sweethearts they both have an indefinable hard edge that tends to put me off.
Tretton on the other hand comes off like a goofy uncle: kinda cuddly, kinda
bumbling but, at absolute worst, harmless.   Of course none of these guys are
truly skilled at public speaking, but neither are any of them comically awful
either.

The tone of the conference was much more humble than the others (as it would
almost have to be with Sony's performance since November).  Sony played to
their strengths and addressed their weaknesses with something approaching
frankness.

In any case the conference started virtually, in "Home", with Jack's avatar.
After a few minutes he appeared on stage in the flesh.  This theme was repeated
several times throughout the show with Kaz Harai and Phil Harrison also
appearing both in the flesh and as Home avatars.  It felt a little forced and
was definitely goofy but it did show off "Home" which looked fantastic and,
more importantly, looked like an interesting place to spend some time.

Throughout the show they let details of “Home” out.  Aspects of it would be
available to some (presumably Sony, but possibly other) models of mobile phone.
 You would be able to, for example, take a picture on your phone and transfer
it immediately and seamlessly to your Home apartment where friends could see
it.  Surprisingly there was no mention of similar features for the PSP but I
have to assume they’re coming.

There will also be a general web component of “Home” which will include
automated blogging, links to the apartment and other “MySpace” type
features.  You'll be able to start games from within Home (any game, not just
the many in the “Home” environment itself) and manage your PS3's assets,
watch TV and listen to music via a virtual PSP.

The idea of public and private spaces is coming along nicely with the closed
rooms of the early beta replaced with wide open outdoor areas.   Some
indications of how publishers might integrate with “Home” were hinted at.
For example Harrison's avatar wore, at one point, a "Ratchet and Clank"
costume.  The idea that games could include (either on free disc, as rewards,
or as downloadable extras) virtual objects for use in “Home” is insanely
interesting and nearly limitless.  Clothing, furniture, art pieces, wallpaper
or whole decoration themes could all be provided.

The service is looking better and better but I'm getting worried about what I'm
not seeing.

When adopting a physical, real-world metaphor in software you also adopt its
problems.  Home will have to address them.  Modeling everything on real-world
dimensions means real-world navigation problems.  To get from my apartment to,
say, the bowling alley, do I have to walk?  How far?  What kind of navigation
aides/shortcuts will I have?  When a popular game is released will there be
crowd control issues in the virtual space?  How will the service deal with
thousands of virtual avatars trying to cram into a space apparently only able
to hold several hundred?

I'm cautiously optimistic but I think that the success or failure of "Home"
depends on how Sony addresses these real-world problems in their virtual
environment.  If they do well then I see no reason that Home shouldn't become
the premier online service in the current-generation console space.

Of course Sony had more than Home on display.  They displayed a new, marginally
improved PSP with the ability to output directly to a TV.  This is a feature
that really should have been standard originally but it's nice to see
nonetheless.  The new PSP will be available in several accessory/game
configurations.  To introduce one of them, a new "Star Wars" game/ PSP bundle,
Jack had an uncomfortable few moments with a guy in a "Chewbacca" suit.  It was
kind of sad, really.

We saw several new games for the PlayStation Network.  One of them, Echo
Chrome, a clever perspective-based puzzler, is the kind of innovative game
publishers should be crowing about (and Kudos to Sony for doing so).  Another
new game, "Pain", in which players must use their characters as human catapult
ammunition, looked like a blast as well.  Of course there was plenty of
existing IP on hand as well and it all looked good, but the new IP really stood
out.

Sony reiterated that there will be a whole lot of games coming to the PS3
before the end of the (fiscal) year.  Supposedly North America will see 120 new
games with 15 first party titles.  Personally I'll be happy (as somebody
who’s complete PS3 disc library consists of "Resitance: The Fall of Man") if
a good dozen of them are worth buying.

Luckily it looks likes there might be at least that many.  We're finally
getting some old-school action with "Ratch and Clank: Future" which looks
stunning and doesn’t seem to deviate much from its successful roots (this is
a good thing).  Unfortunately (in my mind at least) both Naughty Dog and Sucker
Punch followed Insomniac’s lead: both are doing realistic games for their
debut efforts.  In other words no “Jak” or “Sly Cooper” for the PS3 for
some time at least (I was really hoping for one or both of them to be
announced).

But those games, "Drake's Fortune" (Naughty Dog), a highly dynamic "Tomb
Raider" style adventure and "Infamous" (Sucker Punch) a dark, gritty sandbox
game, both look well worth the effort.  "Drake's Fortune", especially, has me
excited.  Naughty Dog has always done well with mature, story-driven games with
a sense of humor and this looks like no exception.

"Heavenly Sword" for the PS3 and "God of War: Chains of Olympus" both look
great and, despite the similarities, look like they'll provide fairly unique
experiences.  "Heavenly Sword" has an elegance, a style, to it that the
brutishly beautiful "God of War" seems to lack.

The stand out of the show for me, as it was last year, was still "Little Big
Planet".  The creation and customization aspects of the game were highlit this
year.  Even watching it you could see that it's clearly intuitive, simple and
surprisingly powerful.

The game looks to be succeeding on every level: visuals (awe-inspiring), music
(instantly smile-inducing), physics (eerily life-like) and, of course, play
(I'd sell a kidney to play this game right now).  I predict, as I did last
year, that this will be the stand out game, the defining game not only for the
PS3 but quite possibly for this generation of hardware.

Just as we talk about "Pong", "Pac Man" and "Doom" I think we'll look back and
talk about "Little Big Planet".  It's going to be all that and more.

Sony ended, of course, with extended "Killzone 2" footage.  The game looked
amazingly active and alive in its desperate, war-torn way.  I'm not as
intrigued by this kind of game as most, apparently, but there's no denying that
Sony made good on the visual promise at the very least.  Still, there were at
least a dozen great-looking, gritty, war-torn military games on display: this
one will have to do something special to stand out.

One thing that struck me during the Sony conference was how they're leveraging
their platforms.  Many of the games announced would be available both as PSN
downloads for the PS3 and as UMD discs for the PSP.  Others, like "Warhawk"
would be available as a (presumably cheaper) PSN download or as a Blu-Ray disc
with extra content and accessories.  The level of customer choice is a
refreshing trend that I hope to see more of.

Speaking of customer choice another announcement was made, almost off-handedly,
that has great potential: "Unreal Tournament" content for the PC will be fully
compatible with the PS3.  You’ll be able to design or download something on
the PC then just use it on the PS3 (presumably via a memory card or the
built-in browser).  This is, I believe, a first for consoles and a clear sign
that Sony is willing forgo some profit (from otherwise paid add-ons) in favor
of customer choice and capability.

I was disappointed that there seemed to be no (none, nada, zilch) mention of
the PlayStation Eye.  This, more than anything else, has the potential to bring
the kind of experiences people crave on the Wii to the PS3.  Coupling the
motion control of the SIXAXIS, the resolution of the Eye and the processing
power of the PS3 could result in some of the most engaging experiences ever.
Where is it?!

Many other widely predicted announcements never resolved: no rumble on PS3, no
"God of War 3" and no movie/music download service.  There were no truly
unexpected announcements here, nothing groundbreaking, nothing that - in and of
itself - would point to a reversal of Sony's sagging fortunes.

Sony decided to stand on the promise of "Home" and games like "Echo Chrome"
and, especially, "Little Big Planet".  If Sony can keep their feet out of their
collective mouth and let some of these games start talking for them we might
see a legitimate three-horse race in a few months.

Jim Davis