I'm not sure what the exact situation is... but he's definitely not been
here more than three years.  Actually less than a year.

I know he spent more than a little time on the phone attempting to get this
worked out but was unable to do so.  Perhaps he might have been able to with
more time but how long can you really delay a funeral?

To me it seems simple: if you legally have a job (and can prove it) then you
should be able to come and go as you please.

Jim Davis