But is that fair?  The PS2 was the leader then - the first of its generation
by a wide margin.

In this generation the 360 has had a year's head start and the Wii, due to
its architecture, could almost be seen to have a head start (developing for
the Wii is nearly identical to developing for the GC but for the addition of
more input options).

The PS3 is very similar in philosophy to the PS2 - but the playing field is
obviously different.  I agree completely it will have to start to "wow" us
to move forward and, like the PS2, that will be with this second generation
of games.  If there's nothing compelling by March I'll whole-heartedly
agree: the system is a failure.

I'm of the opinion that the PS3 was forced out a year too early by MS.  MS
cannibalized the original XBox and limited the 360 to come out much earlier
than Sony (and I think even Nintendo) wanted to.  Sony's goal last year was
to get the hardware out - that's it.  The software simply wasn't ready, but
the hardware was (and is) phenomenal.

Now the system software is where it should have been at launch, "Home" is
coming along (it was probably meant for launch as well) and truly compelling
content is being produced.  I think it'll be this next year that really
tells the story: nobody has distanced themselves so much in this race to
dominate (I personally doubt anybody will).

We're going to be a three-horse town for the foreseeable future I think.

Jim Davis