Until recently all I was ever hearing about was the illegal workers were
getting busted by immigration. Very rarely were the employers hit. And when
they were they would claim the illegals were working for a contractor etc. and
get off scot free.

Frankly I think that whenever someone gets busted in an immigration raid, the
employer should spend time in jail, and pay a fine equivalent to the worker's
salary for 10 years. Moreover their business should be confiscated and the
proceeds be used to house the illegals until they can be shipped back to their
native country.

The current penalities are a complete joke, many companies from what I
understand consider those penalties as a cost of doing business. If the
employer penalties were more realistic, I doubt there would be much a problem
in a couple of years.