>I agree with you, if an employer is knowingly hiring illegals, or not taking
>the proper steps to ensure that. They should have the book thrown at them.

You mean like Walmart - a couple of years ago they were subject to a series of
immigration raids. In stores across 3 or 4 states the cleaning staff working
for a so-called contractor were illegals. Walmart claimed the company had no
knowledge of it. That the workers were hired by a contracting firm (which just
happened to be owned by a walmart exec). Walmart was not fined, or suffered any
other penalty.

The idea is if there is no incentive for the workers to come up here, and a
major set of costs for employers, then the problem will solve itself very
quickly. Moreover have some sort of monetary reward for people turning in
employers who hire illegals. That provides an even greater incentive for
employers to stay legal.

On the down side of this, be prepared to pay a lot more for food, and most
other goods and services that rely on low paid employees.