No it hasn't.  For a century the policy of the NFS has been to put the fire out
by 10 am the next day.  Remember Smokey the Bear?  That is what has caused the
problem.  The NFS has also allowed all of thier land to get way overgrown with
both trees and understory.

I will say is select areas they and BLM are allowing fires to burn out and have
reintroduced fire ecology.  However, they are still planting non-fire resitant
trees (loblolly pine) instead of the fire resitant tree (long leaf pine) in the
pine forests here in the south.

The NFS people I have met here in the south would be lucky to find thier asses
with both hands and a road map.

A properly maintained forest should look like a park with a tree density of
between 150 and 500 trees per acre and no or little understory.  The are are
plots of USFS land that have densities approaching 10000 trees per acre.

And this isn't just aproblem in the south.  In Colorado, there are places under
NFS stewardship that have been allowed to overgrow badly.  I have seen
photographs from the 1930 and from 2000 of places in Colorado and the forest
density is significantly denser today than 70 years ago.