Having worked with indian contractors, I can tell you that it is
definately a 'siso' arrangement.  'stuff in/ stuff out'.  If what you
received wasn't what you expected, take a look at your direction and
try to imagine how they got that from your instructions, then rewrite
them to say what you really meant.

Then you have to hire someone to review the code and verify it is
correct.   (section 508 standards?  what is that?)

For the hours involved, I can see using foreign talent for
subcontracting purposes, but for 1st level approach, it would behoove
whomever hires them to have a project manager onsite who is either very
familiar with the native language and cultures, or someone who is from
that culture.

What I offer as a US based programmer, to US based companies, is a
complete communication cycle.  However, describing the differences may
make me sound prejudice, to a client.

I prefer to remind the client that the professionalism you get in
exchange for the local programmer far outweighs the reduction in hourly
rate.  After all, you can hire someone to learn a language and then
produce for you at 1/4 the rate of a professional who already
understands that programming language, but the job will get done 10
times faster and work 10 times better.

Case in point.  There is another thread on these boards about someone
who was reviewing older code and updating with the cfqueryparam tags.
You lose money dealing with a learning curve, instead of hiring into
the professionals.

William