> Wow, you must think we're all morons.
> http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/oct2007/sb20071025_827398.
> htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_top+story
> The Science Education Myth
> Forget the conventional wisdom. U.S. schools are turning out more
> capable science and engineering grads than the job market can support

Just select members of this list obviously.

But the stats speak for themselves, in the last comparison, in 2003 (there is
one being conducted now, the report should be out late next year) in terms of
mathematicsthe United States was well behind such intellectual powerhouses as
Latvia, http://timss.bc.edu/PDF/t03_download/t03cdrpt_chapter4.pdf. Regarding
sciences the US did not perform as poorly but was still 9th,
http://timss.bc.edu/PDF/t03_download/T03_S_Chap1.pdf

In other words you're wrong. While above average (especially when compared to
countries such as Iran, Ghana and Chile), the mean scores on sciences and maths
are well behind Singapore, Korea, Estonia and Japan. Given the resources that
the US has, it should be considerably higher on these measures. When the 2007
TIMSS results come out next year hopefully the US will show some improvement.

http://nces.ed.gov/ssbr/pages/international.asp

for the full report see: http://timss.bc.edu/timss2003i/mcgdm.html

> On 10/26/07, James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think the main problem we have here is that with so many Americans
> unable
> > to identify America on a globe and don't even realize other
> countries exist
> > until it is time to go to war with them, it becomes all too easy to
> believe
> > they don't know what language the English people from England speak,
> even
> > though the clue is in the name...
> >
> > --

Jay