On Nov 16, 2007 4:33 PM, Dinner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How much does one tell their kid(s)?  How much should one "protect"
> their fragile little consciousnesses?
>
> My dad has some AWESOME stories, about hitchhiking around the
> world, life in 'burque "back in the day", etc..  Just great stuff, I'm
> super blessed to have such a dude for a dad.
>
> But he was always sorta saying "I don't know if I should tell you
> this part or not"- and would generally proceed to tell me.

My dad was great about information too. He bought me books on all
sorts of viewpoints so I could read everything and make up my own
mind. He bought me books that he thought were nonsense as well as
books he felt were "real". I read a lot as a child and decided that I
didn't like "The Church". For a long time I figured I must be an
atheist because I certainly didn't believe what I saw around me from
Christians (one day I'll tell y'all the story about the Christian
educational cruises I went on from school and the hypocrisy I
encountered). Eventually I figured out that it wasn't just black and
white - it wasn't a case of atheism vs the "book" religions and that
there were actually spiritual paths that recognized a greater power
without all the oppression and sheep-like worship and devotion. I was
left emotionally (and, to some extent, spiritually) scarred by my
school experiences, going to a deeply Christian school (my parents
didn't realize until it was too late). FWIW, my school was very, very
much like Hogwarts in many, many ways but with compulsory morning
prayer and compulsory "Religious Education" - Christian indoctrination
since the few non-believers amongst the children were held up to
ridicule by the priests that taught the New Testament at the school.
We were even required to stay after school sometimes when they got
some Christian band to come and play at the school.

As you can all probably tell, it's made me *extremely* cynical about
Christianity in general and the Church in particular ;)
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood