> Zapman wrote:
> yeah, I've thought about that jetta sportwagon, but being in dallas
> and watching my diesel trucks mileage decrease dramatically in
> traffic, I'm thinking that the prius would be more efficient.  Now, if
> only they would marry the sportwagon tdi with a hybrid system.

I've read that the 2.0 TDI is engineered to avoid this problem and
apparently is already doing so in the Audi A4 application in Europe.
The 3.0 TDI does suffer from some city drop-off as the word on the
street goes.

On hybrids - overall, I just can't understand how running 2 engines
would ever be more efficient than one, and one that already exists and
is capable of relatively high mileage.  The argument goes, of course,
that you're capturing energy with batteries that would normally be
lost, but this captured energy is such a small percentage of energy
used I can't believe that it would ever be "carbon-neutral" when you
take into account all of the design, manufacture, and disposal of the
technology and batteries.

And if you go completely electric then you still have to get the
energy from someplace which, at least for the next 10 years or so is
going to coal (investment tip: peabody)

So, for me, Hybrids seem like a red herring: something that sounds
good, seems to make sense, but when you look at the numbers doesn't.

But I'm open to arguments!  In fact I think you had me convinced about
a year ago ...