My dog and cat hang around the house all day when we're at work.  They get
along pretty good, but even if yours don't (I have had the combo where both
definitely didn't), in my experience they peacefully co-exist during the day
together.  They stay out of each other's way, in other words.

I have an idea in my head that I think that my current cat and dog snuggle
up and sleep the day away on the dog's bed, then separate when we get home
and act like it didn't happen.  :)

I've asked the "outside vs. inside" question in here before - my decision
came down to the fact that we have close neighbors, and having a cat roaming
their property, pooping in their garden or bushes or whatever just wasn't
very "neighborly" of me, so we kept him inside.  He's pretty happy, at least
it seems.  We have WAY too big a house for two people, so he gets some areas
of the house completely to himself.  Seems to keep him occupied.

As for what to get - depends on where you're gonna keep him/her.  If the dog
can get in there, be prepared to put the food up on a table or something.
Dogs love the cat food (ok, dogs love any food really).  Same principle
applies with the litter box (i prefer a covered one).  Nothing like *that*
breath to wake you up in the morning!  eeeew.

Two words - clumping litter (I like Fresh Step, personally).  Clean
regularly.  Twice a week seems to work for out little poop machine.

Cat toys are a must with kittens, have fun with them while they are young!
My favorites are the little wand with a strip of cloth and a feather at the
end (Wal-Mart or Petco has tons of these in many flavors) and the little
handheld laser.  The laser is great, and for some reason, even when they
figure out where the source is, they still love it.  Gives him great
exercise too.  The other thing my cat likes is wadded up paper.  Crazy, I
know, but he'll play fetch with me if I wad the ball up tight enough.  (I
swear he thinks he is the Lab's little brother).

As always, go with a decent food - pay a little extra now and save the
headaches of many vet bills later.  I always view the cheap grocery store
cat food to you eating big macs every day for your whole life.  Yea, they
fill you up, but by the time you're 30, you are a mess.

Enjoy!  I never wanted to get a cat, but I actually enjoy this little energy
ball.  They can be a lot of fun!