We just got our first real cat and the first pet (besides fish) in our first
home.

(Our last cat was a disguised demon from the lowest level of Hell and we
lived in an apartment.  She can't be considered for comparison.)

Our biggest problems have been the litter box and claws.

This animal doesn't like his own shit... unless the litter box was scooped
constantly he'd crap in the sink.  We ended up popping for a self-cleaning
box that works well enough (but has led to one really nasty hour cleaning it
when the plastic catch failed and all the crap ended up beneath the box) but
needs to be plugged in to work... which means it's my server closet at the
moment.

I hope to run an outlet to the bathroom later.

Claws are harder.  We got him a scratching thing and he does use it - but he
also likes the carpet on the stairs and the area run in the dining room.
NEVER EVER yell at them when they're near their scratching post!  You want
them to LOVE it.  ;^)

He does love the window sill in the front picture window... but he was also
clawing the hell out of the woodwork.  I picked up a carpet remnant that
sort of matched the wood, cut it to fit and tacked it down and problem
solved.  A couple of small tack-holes are much better than a thousand claw
marks.

Now the problem is the curtains - to get and down from the window sill he's
not treating the sheer curtains very well.  I've not figured out a solution
for that yet.

Oh - and you might want to also consider picking up a tray for the food
dishes.  Just something to keep the mess contained.  You can give them water
too but I've never had an animal that was able that didn't prefer drinking
out of the toilet.

Jim Davis