Oh, nothing too mysterious.  It's two things working toward the same
position.

First, I learned about twenty years ago the reality of what the law can
potentially do to you if they have a mind to it, from the DA all the way
down to the cop on the beat, and none of it has anything at all do to with
whether or not you've committed a crime (I hadn't).  It has to do with what
they claim based on how much they don't like what you do as a citizen (and
whether or not you have any witnesses to back you up), what race/class you
are, and that's all.  Only the wealthy and politically connected (which
typically overlaps with wealthy) are immune to this kind of treatment;
everyone else has to virtually bankrupt themselves hiring truly talented
lawyers, which are harder to find than you can imagine (most are pathetic
hacks -- don't believe the TV shows).

As my mother drilled into me growing up, "The more you stir in shit, the
more you get on your hands."  Unfortunately the "shit" referred to here was
simply exercising my rights, some of which were not very convenient for the
police.  They don't like that.  They *really* don't like that.  And they can
turn your life upside down just for the hell of it to show you who has the
control, who has the power.  And they're right, no matter how much you fight
or how wrong it is.  Once I accepted that, I decided it was a better life to
not make any waves whatsoever.  No more stirring in shit of any kind.  I
mean not even a speeding ticket.

Second, to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Georgia, you have
to be absolutely clean as a whistle legally.  To obtain a BATF Form 4 waiver
to legally own a machine gun, you have to be so clean that you make a
squeaking sound whenever you walk.  I enjoy both of these privileges (and I
do consider them privileges), so I value my personal responsibility bound to
these privileges, and that means leading a legally clean and uncontroversial
life.

If you have a firearm in your possession when you are caught with any amount
of non-prescription drugs of any kind, you commit a felony (IIRC) and can
never own any firearm ever again, or vote.  So for me, even if Georgia had a
medical marijuana law, I wouldn't participate (even though I'm truly
legitimately qualified, unlike most of the jokesters getting permits for
"daily anxiety" or some shit like that) because the feds have an opposing
take on things, and it's just not worth the risk for me.

I do wish things were different, but they're not.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
President
Productivity Enhancement