sadly, i think that if we were **required** to educate ourselves prior to
the caucuses/primaries, most people would find themselves drawn to a
"lesser" candidate, but the big Dem/Repub machines really dedicate
themselves to pushing through those that tout the party lines.  Who really
sees themselves as a straight-up red/blue member?

Kucinich/Paul comes to mind...