>That's even worse than I could ever fathom, and inexcusable.
>And precisely why someone needs to step in and do something...

It's amazing how bad it has gotten so quickly. Health problems are now the
number one cause of bankruptcy...and that's among people that *have* health
insurance. Costs for the self-insured are rising so fast that more and more
can't afford if (if they are even able to get coverage) and if you get sick at
all you can expect your premium to shoot up the following year (mine went up by
about $400 this year due to one trip to the emergency room last year...my only
medical expense last year other than one or two normal wellness visits.) You
hear more and more stories of people denied coverage for important tests or
treatments, and people that can't afford the medicine due to the overwhelming
cost of prescription drugs. I personally suffer with reflux and should be on
one of the newer drugs but the cost is about $100/month for me, so make due
with Prilosec even though it's no longer effective for me. Likewise my eye
doctor would like me to try Restasis for dry eye...that one was $200 for a
month supply! I'll make due with eye drops, thank you. These aren't the kinds
of sacrifices well-employed, middle-class people should have to make, but we
do. The American Dream is rapidly moving out of reach for all but a very few.