On Feb 11, 2008 11:32 AM, Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The number one cause of bankruptcy is losing your job.
>
> Really? Show me something to prove that. Here's a study published a few years
> ago showing that half of all bankruptcies were from medical causes....the
> illness often *causing* job loss and then loss of coverage, so it wasn't the
> primary factor.
>
> http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/content/full/hlthaff.w5.63/DC1

You just proved it was job loss.
Are you saying you want your medical insurance to also pay your person
bills while you're sick?

> > I'm not sure why you want me to pay for your meds. You pay $400 a
> > month and your meds cost $300 that leaves $1200 a year for all other
> > medical costs.
>
> Huh?? I don't follow this at all. Where did you get this $400 a month from?
> Is that for insurance? Deductible? Co-Pay? My costs are way higher than
> $400/month, this just doesn't make any sense. And $1200 regardless is
> virtually nothing when it comes to medical care. One even minor injury can
> eat that up in no time. So not sure what your point here is. Maybe this will
> shed better light on the kinds of costs and how out of reach they are getting
> for most people/businesses/etc.:
>
> http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml

I'm talking about insurance risk. If they know your meds are
guaranteed to be $300 a month plus and mine are zero I should pay
less. But I don't mind paying an extra hundred or two so your payments
are lower. Just don't ask me to pay all your costs.

> What, because I have medical problems? Yeah, exactly. That's why I can't get
> decent coverage, and what I can get costs ridiculously high amounts, has high
> deductibles and co-pays, etc. In many states I would not be able to be
> insured at all. Are you saying that anyone with medical problems doesn't
> deserve to have insurance?

Not at all, just like people that often crash their car can have
insurance but they have to pay more. If we work at the same company
we'd pay the same. If we both get insurance on our own we pay by the
risk. Same goes with life insurance. Bush's plan would make it easier
for us to join a group and distribute the fees evenly.

> Gee, how lucky for you. I unfortunately inherited this problem from my dad,
> have already been through one surgery for it, do all the things I'm supposed
> to do (lost weight, don't eat the wrong foods, etc.) but it's simply not
> going to go away.

My dad gave up his construction business to become a janitor so he'd
get a pension and medical insurance. We have choices.

> > I don't mind subsidizing the poor with my insurance payments but not
> > the people that don't need it.
>
> What the? Are you saying I don't need medical treatment? Or that if I can't
> afford the more expensive treatment that would help me, then that's just too
> bad? Come tell me that again, when you get cancer in 10 years or so, can't
> keep your job, lose your insurance, can't afford the cost of treatment, etc.
> Then maybe you will feel differently about the situation. This is one of the
> problems with getting any support for changing the current system...people
> that have never been through any kind of illness have no idea how at risk
> they really are, and just stick their head in the sand and say, I shouldn't
> have to pay for all the others that have problems. Well guess what, that's
> what being part of a society is all about. Helping those that are less
> fortunate that you...and that doesn't just mean those that are poor...it
> means any of those that are suffering for whatever reason.

Thanks for those sweet wishes :)
I'm saying if you're self employed and making money you have to pay
insurance based on your risk factor.
If you can't afford it look for other alternatives like working for a
larger company that can provide insurance or join a group somehow.
There are ways to get coverage but you just want someone else to help
you pay. That's what groups are for not the government.

We're not talking about the less fortunate, they get aid. We're
talking about two people making the same wage and one needs $300 a
month worth of meds and the other needs nothing. You want my bill to
be higher so yours is lower.